Pro-Telangana students disrupt Seemandhra meet
Hyderabad: Police arrested dozens of pro-Telangana students here Thursday as they tried to disrupt a meeting of Seemandhra leaders, opposing the proposed division of Andhra Pradesh.
Students belonging to Osmania University and activists of the Telangana Jagruthi, cultural arm of the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), tried to barge into the high-security Ministers` Quarters in Banjara Hills to stop the meeting of Congress party leaders of Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and Andhra regions).
Raising slogans of `Jai Telangana`, the students said they would not allow any meeting which is aimed at stalling formation of Telangana state.
As tension mounted, police arrested the protestors and bundled them into waiting vehicles.
Later, activists, including from Telangana Jagruthi, tried to lay siege to the Ministers` Quarters but were arrested.
The protestors, including women, said they would not tolerate attempts by Seemandhra leaders to stop formation of a Telangana state.
The leaders from Seemandhra, including ministers and legislators, are meeting to chalk out their future course of action amid indications that the centre will soon take a decision to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh.
Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), comprising various pro-Telangana groups, began day-long silent protest to demand the centre to make an announcement for carving out Telangana state by Jan 28.
After the Dec 28 all-party meet on Telangana, union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said a decision on the issue would be taken within a month.
Leaders of various political parties and representatives of the groups of government employees, lawyers and journalists are participating in the silent protest at Telangana Martyrs` Memorial, Gun Park near state assembly building.
JAC leader M. Kodandaram urged Seemandhra leaders not to stall Telangana at a time when New Delhi is nearing a solution to meet the aspirations of its people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you