Pro-Telangana students give bandh call tomorrow
Hyderabad: Reacting strongly to the Srikrishna Committee report, pro-Telangana student groups Thursday held protests at the Osmania University here and gave a call for a
bandh tomorrow in Hyderabad and Telangana region of Andhra
Tension prevailed at the Osmania University (OU) campus
after the report was made public. Groups of students allegedly
torched a bus and pelted stones, while police lobbed teargas
shells to disperse protesters.
Police said students hurled stones at police and the clash
left at least four students and a police officer injured.
Telangana Students Joint Action Committee (TSJAC), which
gave the bandh call, demanded that the Centre should
immediately bring a bill in the Parliament for formation of
Denouncing the Justice Srikrishna Committee report on
Telangana, the activists and students earlier tried to take
out a march to the Raj Bhavan from the university campus.
Students kept hurling stones at security forces near the
OU police station and Tarnaka area till late evening, a senior
police officer said adding the situation is tense but under
Minutes after the Srikrishna report was made public, the
pro-Telangana students allegedly burnt a relief bus near the
Arts College on the campus which had come to tow away another
torched bus that was set on fire by miscreants last night.
"The Srikrishna Committee report is against our demands
and we don`t accept it. We have given a bandh call tomorrow
against the report and also to condemn the police lathi-charge
in which ten students were injured at the Osmania University,"
TSJAC spokesman P Kailash told reporters.
Anticipating trouble, the Andhra Pradesh Police had
made elaborate security arrangements across the state,
particularly at the OU campus which had become the epicentre
of the Telangana movement last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday