Pro-Telangana students protest at Osmania University campus
Hyderabad: Police lobbed tear-gas shells to disperse a group of protesting pro-Telangana students after being pelted with stones on the Osmania University (OU)
campus here this afternoon.
A bus too was burnt by the students, police said.
Denouncing the Justice Srikrishna Committee report on Telangana and demanding a separate Telangana state, students tried to take out a march to the Raj Bhavan from the varsity campus and pelted stones at police after they were stopped,
"The situation is now under control," Deputy Commissioner of Police (East Zone) Y Gangadhar told a news agency.
At least four students sustained injuries in the stone-pelting and were shifted to a hospital, the senior police officer said. "It (injuries) has nothing to do with the
firing of tear-gas shells," he said.
Minutes after the Justice Srikrishna Committee report on Telangana statehood demand was made public by the Centre, the pro-Telangana students allegedly burnt a relief bus near the Arts College on the campus which had come to tow away another torched bus that set on fire last night.
Anticipating trouble, the Andhra Pradesh Police have already made elaborate security arrangements across the state with deployment of 50 companies of para-military forces in the three regions out of which 18 companies have been deployed in Hyderabad alone.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed