Pro-Telangana students protest at Osmania University campus
Hyderabad: Police lobbed tear-gas shells to disperse a group of protesting pro-Telangana students after being pelted with stones on the Osmania University (OU)
campus here this afternoon.
A bus too was burnt by the students, police said.
Denouncing the Justice Srikrishna Committee report on Telangana and demanding a separate Telangana state, students tried to take out a march to the Raj Bhavan from the varsity campus and pelted stones at police after they were stopped,
"The situation is now under control," Deputy Commissioner of Police (East Zone) Y Gangadhar told a news agency.
At least four students sustained injuries in the stone-pelting and were shifted to a hospital, the senior police officer said. "It (injuries) has nothing to do with the
firing of tear-gas shells," he said.
Minutes after the Justice Srikrishna Committee report on Telangana statehood demand was made public by the Centre, the pro-Telangana students allegedly burnt a relief bus near the Arts College on the campus which had come to tow away another torched bus that set on fire last night.
Anticipating trouble, the Andhra Pradesh Police have already made elaborate security arrangements across the state with deployment of 50 companies of para-military forces in the three regions out of which 18 companies have been deployed in Hyderabad alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof