Pro-Telangana students protest at Osmania University campus
Hyderabad: Police lobbed tear-gas shells to disperse a group of protesting pro-Telangana students after being pelted with stones on the Osmania University (OU)
campus here this afternoon.
A bus too was burnt by the students, police said.
Denouncing the Justice Srikrishna Committee report on Telangana and demanding a separate Telangana state, students tried to take out a march to the Raj Bhavan from the varsity campus and pelted stones at police after they were stopped,
"The situation is now under control," Deputy Commissioner of Police (East Zone) Y Gangadhar told a news agency.
At least four students sustained injuries in the stone-pelting and were shifted to a hospital, the senior police officer said. "It (injuries) has nothing to do with the
firing of tear-gas shells," he said.
Minutes after the Justice Srikrishna Committee report on Telangana statehood demand was made public by the Centre, the pro-Telangana students allegedly burnt a relief bus near the Arts College on the campus which had come to tow away another torched bus that set on fire last night.
Anticipating trouble, the Andhra Pradesh Police have already made elaborate security arrangements across the state with deployment of 50 companies of para-military forces in the three regions out of which 18 companies have been deployed in Hyderabad alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!