Pro-Telangana students resume protests at Osmania University
Hyderabad: After a brief lull, pro-Telangana students resumed protests today and pelted stones at the police in Osmania University (OU) campus here, expressing anger against Andhra Pradesh government`s decision to go ahead with the varsity exams from tomorrow.
Students took out rallies and held demonstrations in support of their demand that a Bill be introduced in Parliament for creation of separate Telangana state.
They hurled stones on police personnel near AMS Kaman on the campus and also indulged in stone-pelting on the OU Police station this evening. Policemen lobbed teargas shells to disperse them, an officer said.
The OU Students Joint Action Committee had earlier given a call for boycott of examinations over delay in granting statehood for Telangana region.
The pro-Telangana students and activists clashed with the police for four days after the Justice Srikrishna Committee report had been made public on January 6.
Minister for Higher Education C Damodar Rajanarasimha had yesterday made it clear that all the examinations commencing in OU from January 20 would be conducted as per the schedule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre