Pro-Telangana students resume protests at Osmania University
Hyderabad: After a brief lull, pro-
Telangana students resumed protests on Wednesday and pelted stones at
the police in Osmania University (OU) campus here, expressing
anger against Andhra Pradesh government`s decision to go ahead
with the varsity exams from tomorrow.
Students took out rallies and held demonstrations in
support of their demand that a Bill be introduced in
Parliament for creation of separate Telangana state.
They hurled stones on police personnel near AMS Kaman
on the campus and also indulged in stone-pelting on the OU
Police station this evening. Policemen lobbed teargas shells
to disperse them, an officer told PTI.
The OU Students Joint Action Committee had earlier
given a call for boycott of examinations over delay in
granting statehood for Telangana region.
The pro-Telangana students and activists clashed with
the police for four days after the Justice Srikrishna
Committee report had been made public on January 6.
Minister for Higher Education C Damodar Rajanarasimha
had yesterday made it clear that all the examinations
commencing in OU from January 20 would be conducted as per the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional