Pro-Telangana students resume protests at Osmania University
Hyderabad: After a brief lull, pro-
Telangana students resumed protests on Wednesday and pelted stones at
the police in Osmania University (OU) campus here, expressing
anger against Andhra Pradesh government`s decision to go ahead
with the varsity exams from tomorrow.
Students took out rallies and held demonstrations in
support of their demand that a Bill be introduced in
Parliament for creation of separate Telangana state.
They hurled stones on police personnel near AMS Kaman
on the campus and also indulged in stone-pelting on the OU
Police station this evening. Policemen lobbed teargas shells
to disperse them, an officer told PTI.
The OU Students Joint Action Committee had earlier
given a call for boycott of examinations over delay in
granting statehood for Telangana region.
The pro-Telangana students and activists clashed with
the police for four days after the Justice Srikrishna
Committee report had been made public on January 6.
Minister for Higher Education C Damodar Rajanarasimha
had yesterday made it clear that all the examinations
commencing in OU from January 20 would be conducted as per the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media