Protect Ambedkar statues:AP Govt.
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Government on Friday directed Collectors and Superintendents of Police of all
district to take necessary measures for protection of statues
of B R Ambedkar in the aftermath of desecration of his statues
at some places in East Godavari district.
Nearly half a dozen statues of the architect of Indian
Constitution were vandalised by miscreants at Amalapuram and
Dhowaleswaram towns in the past one week. One of the incidents
took place on Republic Day, leading to protests by Dalit
organisations across the state.
As the issue threatened to snowball into a political
controversy, the General Administration Department issued
instructions to all district Collectors and SPs to take
foolproof measures for protection of Ambedkar statues.
"The Government is serious about protecting all
Ambedkar statues. Police and revenue staff are being deployed
for this job," a District Collector told news agency over phone.
The Government sent Additional Director General of
Police Krishna Raju to East Godavari district for monitoring
the situation in Amalapuram and other places and nab the
miscreants involved in the vandalism.
But so far no arrests have been made. "We have
launched a hunt for the culprits and will soon nab them," a
senior police official said.
Meanwhile, a group of Ministers, led by Dokka Manikya
Vara Prasad, visited Amalapuram today to take stock of the
situation. Assembly Deputy Speaker Mallu Bhatti Vikramarka was
also part of the team.
Strongly condemning the defiling of the Dalit icon`s
statues, Prasad said the Government was taking steps to
ensure such "unwarranted incidents" did not recur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule