Protesting students were not fired upon, says Andhra DGP
Hyderabad: A top police official of Andhra
Pradesh on Friday said that some persons were trying to create
tension by circulating SMSes in bulk claiming that police
fired on students at Osmania University.
"Only tear-gas shells were fired when a mob of protesters
pelted stones injuring 24 personnel including an Additional
DCP. No firing took place," Director General of Police K
Aravinda Rao told reporters meeting state Chief Minister N
Kiran Kumar Reddy at the Secretariat here.
The DGP said only small-intensity pellet-shooting guns
were being used to disperse mobs and not lethal weapons like
.303 Rifle and Self-Loading Rifle.
"Some tension is certainly prevailing on the Osmania
University campus. But our effort is to ensure that it does
not escalate," the DGP said.
He said only personnel of the Andhra Pradesh Special
Police (APSP) were now deployed on the University campus.
The police chief said six cases were registered in
Hyderabad city in connection with burning of three state road
transport buses yesterday and stone pelting incidents.
In all 12 persons were arrested in Hyderabad and other
parts of the state in connection with the sporadic violence
that broke out after the Srikrishna Committee report was made
The SMSes doing rounds in bulk claimed that police
yesterday opened fire on students, and several of them were
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Forex reserves touch a life-time high of $363.8 billion
- Women not safe in Bihar? After Nirbhaya-like gang-rape, another girl attacked with acid
- Modi, Putin vow to take forward India-Russia ties
- Euro 2016: Spain prepared for clash against 'powerful' Italy, says Iniesta
- READ: How Mahendra Singh Dhoni 'bowled over' this Pakistani model with his calmness