Protesting students were not fired upon, says Andhra DGP
Hyderabad: A top police official of Andhra
Pradesh on Friday said that some persons were trying to create
tension by circulating SMSes in bulk claiming that police
fired on students at Osmania University.
"Only tear-gas shells were fired when a mob of protesters
pelted stones injuring 24 personnel including an Additional
DCP. No firing took place," Director General of Police K
Aravinda Rao told reporters meeting state Chief Minister N
Kiran Kumar Reddy at the Secretariat here.
The DGP said only small-intensity pellet-shooting guns
were being used to disperse mobs and not lethal weapons like
.303 Rifle and Self-Loading Rifle.
"Some tension is certainly prevailing on the Osmania
University campus. But our effort is to ensure that it does
not escalate," the DGP said.
He said only personnel of the Andhra Pradesh Special
Police (APSP) were now deployed on the University campus.
The police chief said six cases were registered in
Hyderabad city in connection with burning of three state road
transport buses yesterday and stone pelting incidents.
In all 12 persons were arrested in Hyderabad and other
parts of the state in connection with the sporadic violence
that broke out after the Srikrishna Committee report was made
The SMSes doing rounds in bulk claimed that police
yesterday opened fire on students, and several of them were
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla