Protests for inclusion of Bhadrachalam region in Telangana
Hyderabad: Telangana supporters held protests in the Khammam district of Andhra Pradesh on Tuesday demanding that the Bhadrachalam sub-division of the district remain with Telangana state after bifurcation.
Agitators, who called for a shutdown, organised rallies, road blockades and other protests in support of their demand.
Bhadrachalam, where a famous temple of Lord Rama is situated, has become a bone of contention between supporters of Telangana and Seemandhra regions.
The temple town was part of the coastal districts before formation of Andhra Pradesh, leaders of the "united" Andhra Pradesh agitation said, but their Telangana counterparts maintain that it had been a part of the Telangana area ruled by the erstwhile Nizam of Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown