Protests for inclusion of Bhadrachalam region in Telangana
Hyderabad: Telangana supporters held protests in the Khammam district of Andhra Pradesh on Tuesday demanding that the Bhadrachalam sub-division of the district remain with Telangana state after bifurcation.
Agitators, who called for a shutdown, organised rallies, road blockades and other protests in support of their demand.
Bhadrachalam, where a famous temple of Lord Rama is situated, has become a bone of contention between supporters of Telangana and Seemandhra regions.
The temple town was part of the coastal districts before formation of Andhra Pradesh, leaders of the "united" Andhra Pradesh agitation said, but their Telangana counterparts maintain that it had been a part of the Telangana area ruled by the erstwhile Nizam of Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter