Protests in Andhra over hike in prices of petroleum products
Hyderabad: All Opposition parties in Andhra Pradesh on Saturday took to streets in a massive way protesting the steep hike petroleum product prices and organised agitations
even as Chief Minister K Rosaiah said government would take a decision on July 1 on reducing the impact of the hike.
The state government was expected to earn an additional Rs 540 crore in the form of sales tax as a result of the hike in petro products, the Chief Minister noted, adding they would draw plans to spend this money on public welfare.
"A decision in this regard will be taken at the Cabinet meeting on July 1," Rosaiah said.
Meanwhile, strongly condemning the Centre`s decision to increase prices of petrol, diesel, kerosene and cooking gas, TDP workers organised a protest outside the Chief Rationing
Officer`s office at Begumpet here and cooked food.
The protesters demanded an immediate rollback in fuel price hike. Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) chief Chiranjeevi, as part of the agitation, participated in a padayatra from
Tummalapally auditorium to Sub-Collector’s office after riding a bullock cart fitted with lorry steering for some distance in Vijayawada.
Similarly, CPI State Committee secretary K Narayana also participated in a demonstration in Vijayawada.
Slamming the government for increasing the fuel prices, the protesters burnt the effigy of Central government.
Addressing the protesters Narayana faulted the deregulation
policy announced by the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery