PRP formally unites with Congress
Hyderabad: With Andhra Pradesh Assembly Speaker Nadendla Manohar making a formal announcement in the House Monday accepting the merger of Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) with the Congress, the chapter of the Chiranjeevi-led party
has come to an end in the political history of the state.
"Under Para 4 of Schedule X of the Constitution, all
17 members of PRP will be recognised as Congress MLAs with
immediate effect," the Speaker announced to the House.
Telugu Megastar Chiranjeevi founded the PRP on August 26,
2008 at temple-town Tirupati with the promise of ushering in a
change on the plank of social justice.
The party could not ride to power despite positioning
itself as an alternative to Congress and Telugu Desam Party
but won only 18 seats with 17 per cent vote share in the 2009
elections. One of the MLAs subsequently switched over to the
YSR Congress of Y S Jaganmohan Reddy.
It drew a blank in the Lok Sabha polls the same year.
PRP was plagued by a leadership crisis since its start as
majority of the leaders who joined it from other parties quit,
unable to adjust to the "filmy style" of functioning of
Chiranjeevi and his brother-in-law Allu Aravind.
In February 2011, the Congress came with the offer of a
merger with PRP and Chiranjeevi lost no time in accepting it.
In June last year, the Election Commission of India
approved the merger of PRP with Congress and the formalities
between the two parties were completed in August.
Two legislators of PRP were inducted into the state
Cabinet in January as part of merger deal.
However, the PRP continued to remain a separate group in
the Assembly as some "technical" procedures were not
Late last month, the Congress Legislature Party finally
approved the merger and communicated its decision to the
On Thursday, leaders of both parties handed over letters
to the Speaker seeking to accept the merger. Accordingly, the
Speaker made the formal announcement this morning.
Now, as per the promise made by the Congress during the
merger, Chiranjeevi has to be nominated to Rajya Sabha in the
biennial elections on March 30. If that doesn`t happen by any
chance, Chiranjeevi will become a "backbencher" in the
Assembly as he is a first-time MLA (from Tirupati).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming