PUCL woman leader sent to jail over objectionable Facebook post
Hyderabad: A senior woman activist of NGO outfit PUCL was sent to jail by a court in Andhra Pradesh after she was arrested over her Facebook post in which some "objectionable" comments were made against Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah and a Congress MLA.
Jaya Vindhayal, state general secretary of People`s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), was remanded in 12-day judicial custody after she was produced by police before a Prakasham district magistrate at his residence last evening, police said today.
She was held by Prakasham district police from Padmarao Nagar here yesterday under section 66A of the Information Technology (IT) Act for the "objectionable" Facebook post on Rosaiah, a former AP Chief Minister, and Chirala MLA Amanchi Krishna Mohan.
"Jaya Vindhayala has been shifted to the district prison", Prakasam SP K Raghuram Reddy told a news agency.
A day after her arrest, Jaya was granted bail by Chirala AMM afer she moved an application. The activist, was, however not released since she failed to provide two sureties of Rs 5,000 each as ordered by the court. She is expected to be set free tomorrow.
Police has sent a requisition to the security wing of Facebook, seeking to remove the "objectionable and defamatory" post from the public domain, he said.
It said a case was registered in this regard on April 18 following a complaint by the Chirala MLA and during the course of investigation it was found that Jaya had posted the "objectionable" comments.
Jaya Vindhayala had allegedly distributed pamphlets making objectionable allegations against Rosaiah and Krishna Mohan earlier in Chirala town in Prakasam district before posting the comments online, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming