PUCL woman leader sent to jail over objectionable Facebook post
Hyderabad: A senior woman activist of NGO outfit PUCL was sent to jail by a court in Andhra Pradesh after she was arrested over her Facebook post in which some "objectionable" comments were made against Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah and a Congress MLA.
Jaya Vindhayal, state general secretary of People`s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), was remanded in 12-day judicial custody after she was produced by police before a Prakasham district magistrate at his residence last evening, police said today.
She was held by Prakasham district police from Padmarao Nagar here yesterday under section 66A of the Information Technology (IT) Act for the "objectionable" Facebook post on Rosaiah, a former AP Chief Minister, and Chirala MLA Amanchi Krishna Mohan.
"Jaya Vindhayala has been shifted to the district prison", Prakasam SP K Raghuram Reddy told a news agency.
A day after her arrest, Jaya was granted bail by Chirala AMM afer she moved an application. The activist, was, however not released since she failed to provide two sureties of Rs 5,000 each as ordered by the court. She is expected to be set free tomorrow.
Police has sent a requisition to the security wing of Facebook, seeking to remove the "objectionable and defamatory" post from the public domain, he said.
It said a case was registered in this regard on April 18 following a complaint by the Chirala MLA and during the course of investigation it was found that Jaya had posted the "objectionable" comments.
Jaya Vindhayala had allegedly distributed pamphlets making objectionable allegations against Rosaiah and Krishna Mohan earlier in Chirala town in Prakasam district before posting the comments online, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price