Raghuveera Reddy to undertake `Bhagiratha Yatra` from Sunday
Hyderabad: In the ongoing season of political `padayatras` in Andhra Pradesh, yet another foot march is beginning on Sunday from Kurnool district in the state.
The new `padayatra` is being undertaken by state Revenue Minister N Raghuveera Reddy to celebrate the inauguration of an irrigation scheme in the perennially drought-hit Rayalaseema region.
TDP Chief N Chandrababu Naidu and Yuvajana Sramika Rythu Congress Party (YSRCP) leader Sharmila, sister of party president Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy, have already begun state-wide `padayatras`.
Raghuveera Reddy`s foot march, named `Bhagiratha Vijaya Yatra`, would begin at Malyala in Kurnool on November 18 and end at Jeedipalli in Anantapur district on November 29.
The `Anantha Venkata Reddy Handri Neeva Sujala Sravanthi` irrigation project is conceived by lifting flood flows of Krishna river from foreshore of Srisailam reservoir for providing drinking water for about 33 lakh people and creating irrigation potential of over six lakh acres.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy would open the first pump house on November 18, as part of the opening of first phase of the project, at Malyala in Kurnool. State Congress president Botsa Satyanarayana would flag off the `padayatra`.
Raghuveera Reddy`s `padayatra` would cover a distance of 236 kms in 12 days.
The realisation of the project is a dream coming true for the parched lands of Rayalaseema as the project was first conceived during the British rule, Raghuveera said.
The irrigation commission of the Centre had identified Rayalaseema districts, including Anantapur, Kurnool, Chittoor and Kadapa, as chronically drought affected way back in 1972, officials said.
Naidu`s state-wide `padayatra`, named `Vastunna... Mee Kosam` (I will be there for you) began on October two (birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi) in Anantapur district and was scheduled to end in Srikakulam district on January 26.
The TDP chief has already covered a distance of about 700 kms covering Anantapur, Kurnool, Mahabubnagar districts and is presently touring Ranga Reddy district.
Meanwhile, Sharmila began her walkathon on October 19 from the YSR family estate at Idupulapaya in native Kadapa district, where her father late Rajasekhara Reddy`s samadhi is located, and covered the districts of Kadapa, Anantapur. She will cover a total distance of 3,000 kms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence