Rain kills 5 in Sri Lanka; 17 fishermen missing in Andhra Pradesh
Colombo: Heavy wind and rains caused by the southwestern monsoon killed five people and left 17 fishermen missing along Sri Lanka`s coast on Saturday, an official said.
The navy and air force have rescued another 20 fishermen so far, said spokesman Lal Sarath Kumara from the government`s disaster management center.
Kumara said fishermen were the worst affected by today`s bad weather. Four of the dead were fishermen, while one person was crushed by a fallen tree.
Thirteen other people were injured, he added.
The meteorology department issued a warning of bad weather with strong winds because of the southwest monsoon activating over Sri Lanka.
The Sri Lankan navy and air force launched a joint operation to rescue the missing fishermen, by deploying three ships and two helicopters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state