Rain kills 5 in Sri Lanka; 17 fishermen missing in Andhra Pradesh
Colombo: Heavy wind and rains caused by the southwestern monsoon killed five people and left 17 fishermen missing along Sri Lanka`s coast on Saturday, an official said.
The navy and air force have rescued another 20 fishermen so far, said spokesman Lal Sarath Kumara from the government`s disaster management center.
Kumara said fishermen were the worst affected by today`s bad weather. Four of the dead were fishermen, while one person was crushed by a fallen tree.
Thirteen other people were injured, he added.
The meteorology department issued a warning of bad weather with strong winds because of the southwest monsoon activating over Sri Lanka.
The Sri Lankan navy and air force launched a joint operation to rescue the missing fishermen, by deploying three ships and two helicopters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown