Rain kills 5 in Sri Lanka; 17 fishermen missing in Andhra Pradesh
Colombo: Heavy wind and rains caused by the southwestern monsoon killed five people and left 17 fishermen missing along Sri Lanka`s coast on Saturday, an official said.
The navy and air force have rescued another 20 fishermen so far, said spokesman Lal Sarath Kumara from the government`s disaster management center.
Kumara said fishermen were the worst affected by today`s bad weather. Four of the dead were fishermen, while one person was crushed by a fallen tree.
Thirteen other people were injured, he added.
The meteorology department issued a warning of bad weather with strong winds because of the southwest monsoon activating over Sri Lanka.
The Sri Lankan navy and air force launched a joint operation to rescue the missing fishermen, by deploying three ships and two helicopters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Jaitley to 'take India story forward' with Japanese investors
- Bleaching kills 35 percent of coral in Great Barrier Reef
- WATCH: Relive Virat Kohli's dream run at IPL 2016 - Here's what the run machine did!
- Ban on large diesel vehicles a transient phase, says Jaitley
- Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya files for bail after NIA files fresh chargesheet