Rains, fast winds lash cyclone-hit Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: Heavy rains and gale continued to lash Nellore and other districts of Andhra Pradesh close to Tamil Nadu on Wednesday due to the cyclonic storm `Nilam.`
The cyclone was supposed to cross north Tamil Nadu and adjoining south Andhra Pradesh coast -- between Puducherry and Nellore near Chennai -- this evening, official sources said.
The arrival of the cyclone led to rainfall at most places. Heavy to very heavy rainfall would also occur over south coastal Andhra Pradesh and Rayalaseema during the next 48 hours, according to the Met department.
There were no reports of death or damage to property till evening, the state Commissioner for Disaster Management said. However, media reports showed damaged huts and uprooted trees at many places.
Larger-than-usual tidal waves would inundate the low-lying areas of Nellore district, the sources added.
The cyclone was expected to cause minor damage to power and communication lines, and also to the standing rice and groundnut crops.
The government has set up control rooms at the Secretariat here and at the district and division level. Senior IAS cadres have been posted in 13 coastal mandals as special officers and teams have been kept ready for evacuation in low-lying areas, the Commissioner said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!