Rajagaopal facing threat from Maoists: Police
Hyderabad: Congress MP Lagadapati Rajagopal was forcibly lifted from his indefinite hunger-strike camp in Vijaywada Saturday morning and shifted to hospital as he faced serious threat from Maoists, a top police
"We have received credible information that some Maoists have planned an attack on Rajagopal as he was opposing the creation of Telangana state. We have alerted the police in Vijayawada and got him shifted to a hospital," the official in the Special Intelligence Branch said.
Based on the intelligence input, a unit of the elite anti-naxal squad – Greyhounds – has been dispatched to Vijayawada, Rajagopal`s constituency, he said, adding additional personnel from Andhra Pradesh Special Police and Armed Reserve forces have been deployed in large numbers to maintain law and order.
Police sources in Vijayawada said the situation was tense but under control.
Meanwhile, a Zilla Parishad Territorial Constituency member from Vikarabad in Ranga Reddy district (Telangana), Mahipal Reddy, reportedly offered Rs 50 lakh on the head of Rajagopal.
His offer was reportedly telecast on a Telugu channel based on which former Vijayawada MLA Adusumilli Jayaprakash filed a petition in the State Human Rights Commission.
The SHRC directed the Principal Secretary (Home) to take necessary action and report back by December 31.
Congress leaders from Vijayawada also filed a petition with the SHRC today protesting the manner in which the MP was taken into custody and shifted to hospital though his health condition was not alarming.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days