Rajahmundry: 5 killed, 12 hurt as 2 trucks collide
Rajahmundry (AP): Five persons were today killed and 12 women seriously injured in a head-on collision between two trucks in Jonnada village in East Godavari district, around 25 km from here, police said.
The mishap took place early this morning, when a cement- laden truck, heading to Visakhapatnam from Vinukonda in Guntur district, in which 20 construction workers were travelling, collided with another truck going towards Jannawada in East Godavari district, police said.
According to police, four workers travelling in the cement-laden truck and driver of another truck died on the spot and following the collision, both trucks fell into the canal below.
The seriously injured women were rushed to the nearby Rajahmundry Government Hospital for treatment.
The women passengers were sitting on the top of the cement-carrying truck. All of them are from Basta village in Visakhapatnam district, police said.
The work of identifying the victims is on, they said.
Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy expressed anguish over the accident.
Reddy contacted District Collector Neetu Kumar and took stock of the situation, sources said.
He directed the Collector and District Superintendent of Police Trivikram Verma to submit a report on the incident, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!