Rajahmundry: 5 killed, 12 hurt as 2 trucks collide
Rajahmundry (AP): Five persons were today killed and 12 women seriously injured in a head-on collision between two trucks in Jonnada village in East Godavari district, around 25 km from here, police said.
The mishap took place early this morning, when a cement- laden truck, heading to Visakhapatnam from Vinukonda in Guntur district, in which 20 construction workers were travelling, collided with another truck going towards Jannawada in East Godavari district, police said.
According to police, four workers travelling in the cement-laden truck and driver of another truck died on the spot and following the collision, both trucks fell into the canal below.
The seriously injured women were rushed to the nearby Rajahmundry Government Hospital for treatment.
The women passengers were sitting on the top of the cement-carrying truck. All of them are from Basta village in Visakhapatnam district, police said.
The work of identifying the victims is on, they said.
Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy expressed anguish over the accident.
Reddy contacted District Collector Neetu Kumar and took stock of the situation, sources said.
He directed the Collector and District Superintendent of Police Trivikram Verma to submit a report on the incident, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS