Rajahmundry: 5 killed, 12 hurt as 2 trucks collide
Rajahmundry (AP): Five persons were today killed and 12 women seriously injured in a head-on collision between two trucks in Jonnada village in East Godavari district, around 25 km from here, police said.
The mishap took place early this morning, when a cement- laden truck, heading to Visakhapatnam from Vinukonda in Guntur district, in which 20 construction workers were travelling, collided with another truck going towards Jannawada in East Godavari district, police said.
According to police, four workers travelling in the cement-laden truck and driver of another truck died on the spot and following the collision, both trucks fell into the canal below.
The seriously injured women were rushed to the nearby Rajahmundry Government Hospital for treatment.
The women passengers were sitting on the top of the cement-carrying truck. All of them are from Basta village in Visakhapatnam district, police said.
The work of identifying the victims is on, they said.
Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy expressed anguish over the accident.
Reddy contacted District Collector Neetu Kumar and took stock of the situation, sources said.
He directed the Collector and District Superintendent of Police Trivikram Verma to submit a report on the incident, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH