Ramesh launches cash transfer scheme in Andhra district
Gollaprolu: Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on Sunday launched the Aadhar-enabled Direct Benefits Transfer Scheme (DBTS) for MGNREGP and Social Security Pensions at Gollaprolu village in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh.
East Godavari (EG) is one of the four districts in Andhra Pradesh where the scheme is being launched as part of the nationwide roll-out of DBTS in the first phase.
EG has the distinction of achieving 99 percent enrolment for Aadhar and as many as 43.32 lakh persons were already issued UID cards.
To mark the launch of the scheme, the Union Rural Development Minister paid the pension amount to Nilla Satyanarayana, a physically challenged person, using a micro ATM.
The minister also paid wages using micro ATM to MGNREGP workers on the occasion.
"By the end of August 2013, every gram panchayat, mandal and district will be on the micro ATM network. You need not run to banks or post-offices to get money. Money will come to you at your doorstep," Jairam Ramesh said.
He said a sum of Rs 3,000 crore was being distributed as wages to 55 lakh MGNREGP workers per annum in the state.
Similarly, Rs 425 crore was being given as social security pensions to 16 lakh beneficiaries.
"This amount will now come directly to the beneficiaries` hands without having to run to banks or post offices. The amounts will be distributed through business correspondents using micro ATMs," the minister said.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, state Home Minister P Sabita Reddy, MPs Undavalli Arun Kumar and G Harsha Kumar, ministers, legislators and senior officials were present on the occasion.
East Godavari district Collector Neetu Kumari Prasad explained that there were 11.66 lakh beneficiaries under the DBTS, including MGNREGP and Social Security Pensions.
Of these, 8,02,536 had UID cards along with bank accounts.
"We have already linked 7.74 lakh bank accounts with UID and the rest will be completed soon," the Collector said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi