Ready to meet Rao if he ends his protest, says Rosaiah
New Delhi: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K
Rosaiah on Thursday said he was ready to meet TRS chief K
Chandrasekhara Rao, who is on an indefinite fast demanding a
separate Telangana state, if he ends his protest, but ruled
out any compromise formula.
He also made it clear that a final decision on the
Telangana statehood demand will be taken by Congress President
Sonia Gandhi, who is seized of the matter and has appointed a
committee to go into the issue.
"If reports that he was ready to end his protest if I met
him are true, I am ready to meet K Chandrasekhara Rao. I want
him to be in good health. I would certainly meet him if he is
ready to end the fast," Rosaiah told reporters in reply to a
question about the TRS chief saying that he would end his fast
if Rosaiah meets him.
However, the Chief Minister ruled out any compromise
formula or a package with Rao. "There is no package or
formula. I will meet him if he wishes to... decision on the
issue will only be taken by the High Command."
He said a decision on the Telangana statehood issue
will take time as the cabinet sub-committee is trying to
arrive at a consensus on the matter.
Rosaiah was responding to a volley of questions about
the TRS chief continuing his fast-unto-death and violence in
the state by TRS workers.
The Chief Minister said the situation was under control
and steps are being taken to quell violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch