Ready to meet Rao if he ends his protest, says Rosaiah
New Delhi: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K
Rosaiah on Thursday said he was ready to meet TRS chief K
Chandrasekhara Rao, who is on an indefinite fast demanding a
separate Telangana state, if he ends his protest, but ruled
out any compromise formula.
He also made it clear that a final decision on the
Telangana statehood demand will be taken by Congress President
Sonia Gandhi, who is seized of the matter and has appointed a
committee to go into the issue.
"If reports that he was ready to end his protest if I met
him are true, I am ready to meet K Chandrasekhara Rao. I want
him to be in good health. I would certainly meet him if he is
ready to end the fast," Rosaiah told reporters in reply to a
question about the TRS chief saying that he would end his fast
if Rosaiah meets him.
However, the Chief Minister ruled out any compromise
formula or a package with Rao. "There is no package or
formula. I will meet him if he wishes to... decision on the
issue will only be taken by the High Command."
He said a decision on the Telangana statehood issue
will take time as the cabinet sub-committee is trying to
arrive at a consensus on the matter.
Rosaiah was responding to a volley of questions about
the TRS chief continuing his fast-unto-death and violence in
the state by TRS workers.
The Chief Minister said the situation was under control
and steps are being taken to quell violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family