Red alert in Hyderabad for Babri anniversary
Hyderabad: Police in Hyderabad have sounded a high alert ahead of Dec 6, the anniversary of the demolition of the Babri Masjid which is coinciding this year with `Yaum-e-Ashoora`, the 10th day of `Muharram`.
Security has been stepped up across the Andhra Pradesh capital, especially in the communally sensitive Old City.
Police have deployed additional forces to maintain peace in view of calls by various Muslim organisations to observe the day as `black day` and also for the smooth conduct of the annual `Moharram procession`.
Police are taking no chances in view of the recent communal attacks in the city. According to police, at least six activists of Hindu Vahini were arrested last month for attacks on members of a minority community.
Hyderabad Police commissioner A.K. Khan said known communal offenders were taken into custody as part of measures to avert any untoward incident.
Police also launched vehicle checking operations in various parts of the city from Sunday evening.
Additional Director General of Police S.A. Huda said additional paramilitary forces were also deployed to maintain law and order.
Every year, the police make elaborate arrangements for the historic `Moharram` procession but as the day is coinciding with the Babri Masjid demolition anniversary, police were making additional security arrangements.
Majlis Bachao Tehreek (MBT), a political party in the Old City, has called for a shutdown on Tuesday as a mark of protest over the 1992 demolition. It is also demanding that the mosque be rebuilt on its original site at Ayodhya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers