Red alert in Hyderabad for Babri anniversary
Hyderabad: Police in Hyderabad have sounded a high alert ahead of Dec 6, the anniversary of the demolition of the Babri Masjid which is coinciding this year with `Yaum-e-Ashoora`, the 10th day of `Muharram`.
Security has been stepped up across the Andhra Pradesh capital, especially in the communally sensitive Old City.
Police have deployed additional forces to maintain peace in view of calls by various Muslim organisations to observe the day as `black day` and also for the smooth conduct of the annual `Moharram procession`.
Police are taking no chances in view of the recent communal attacks in the city. According to police, at least six activists of Hindu Vahini were arrested last month for attacks on members of a minority community.
Hyderabad Police commissioner A.K. Khan said known communal offenders were taken into custody as part of measures to avert any untoward incident.
Police also launched vehicle checking operations in various parts of the city from Sunday evening.
Additional Director General of Police S.A. Huda said additional paramilitary forces were also deployed to maintain law and order.
Every year, the police make elaborate arrangements for the historic `Moharram` procession but as the day is coinciding with the Babri Masjid demolition anniversary, police were making additional security arrangements.
Majlis Bachao Tehreek (MBT), a political party in the Old City, has called for a shutdown on Tuesday as a mark of protest over the 1992 demolition. It is also demanding that the mosque be rebuilt on its original site at Ayodhya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves