Red alert in Hyderabad for Babri anniversary
Hyderabad: Police in Hyderabad have sounded a high alert ahead of Dec 6, the anniversary of the demolition of the Babri Masjid which is coinciding this year with `Yaum-e-Ashoora`, the 10th day of `Muharram`.
Security has been stepped up across the Andhra Pradesh capital, especially in the communally sensitive Old City.
Police have deployed additional forces to maintain peace in view of calls by various Muslim organisations to observe the day as `black day` and also for the smooth conduct of the annual `Moharram procession`.
Police are taking no chances in view of the recent communal attacks in the city. According to police, at least six activists of Hindu Vahini were arrested last month for attacks on members of a minority community.
Hyderabad Police commissioner A.K. Khan said known communal offenders were taken into custody as part of measures to avert any untoward incident.
Police also launched vehicle checking operations in various parts of the city from Sunday evening.
Additional Director General of Police S.A. Huda said additional paramilitary forces were also deployed to maintain law and order.
Every year, the police make elaborate arrangements for the historic `Moharram` procession but as the day is coinciding with the Babri Masjid demolition anniversary, police were making additional security arrangements.
Majlis Bachao Tehreek (MBT), a political party in the Old City, has called for a shutdown on Tuesday as a mark of protest over the 1992 demolition. It is also demanding that the mosque be rebuilt on its original site at Ayodhya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened