Reddy urges PM to delete controversial clause
Hyderabad: With protests in Telangana looming large, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Tuesday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take immediate steps for deletion of a clause from the 1975 presidential order that treats this state capital as a free zone for police recruitment.
As Telangana is set to observe shutdown Wednesday on a call given by Telangana students` groups, Reddy spoke to Manmohan Singh over phone and emphasised the need to delete the clause.
According to sources in the chief minister`s office, the prime minister assured him that a decision on the issue would be taken at a meeting of the political affairs committee on Tuesday evening.
Groups fighting for separate statehood to Telangana have threatened to disrupt the written test for recruitment of sub-inspectors of police if it is conducted without deleting clause 14(F) from the presidential order.
Some students` groups have also called a two-day shutdown Aug 13 and 14, when the test is scheduled to be held.
Telangana groups want the clause to be deleted so that Hyderabad is brought under Zone VI to ensure that only people from Hyderabad and five other Telangana districts are eligible for police recruitment in the capital.
The Supreme Court in 2009 had ruled that Hyderabad is a free zone for police recruitments. The verdict evoked strong protests.
The Andhra Pradesh Assembly last year passed a resolution, urging the Central government to delete the controversial clause.
However, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram last week said the state Assembly should unanimously pass another resolution in this regard.
The chief minister the same day rejected this suggestion, saying passing a fresh resolution is impossible in the prevailing emotionally-charged atmosphere.
Reddy last week also wrote a letter to the prime minister, stating that a second resolution by the Assembly was not possible.
He also argued that there was no need for a fresh resolution as the composition of the Assembly had not changed since the passing of the resolution last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!