Reservation for Muslims: APCC to seek Sonia`s intervention
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Congress Committee
(APCC) on Saturday said it is committed for reservation to Muslims
in the State and would seek party supreme Sonia Gandhi`s
intervention in the matter.
The party which convened a meeting here today to discuss
the issue decided to even seek amendment to the constitution
"We will request Sonia Gandhi with folded hands to make
way to implement reservations for Muslims in the State," APCC
Chief D Srinivas said adding "We will go for an amendment to
the Constitution through Parliament if necessary".
The Andhra Pradesh high Court on February 8 quashed the
State Government Act 26 of 2007 that provided 4 per cent
reservation to 15 groups of Muslims in education and in
Government jobs in the State. The Court opined that the Act
had the potential to encourage religious conversions.
The Government moved the Supreme Court challenging the
High Court verdict where the case will come up for hearing on
March 22. Chief Minister K Rosaiah personally convinced senior
Supreme Court counsel Parasharan to take up the case.
The government in its affidavit said, "Like backward
Hindus, socially and economically backward Muslims should also
get reservation. This reservation is not religion specific.
Chief Minister K Rosaiah said Congress is committed to
the welfare of the Muslims who according to him were always
with the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note