Resignations of 12 Telangana MPs rejected
New Delhi: Resignations of 12 MPs from
Telangana region including TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao were
rejected by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Tuesday, raising the
spectre of a fresh turmoil in Parliament over the statehood
The resignations were "not accepted" by the Speaker as
they were not in proper format, Parliament sources said.
The MPs included eight from Congress and two each from
TRS and TDP. They had resigned en masse on July four to press
for separate Telangana.
The decision by the Speaker came just a week before the
winter session of Parliament and a day after Congress MPs from
the region decided to raise the issue of separate Telangana in
"We will not allow Parliament to function until the
Centre and the Congress high command announce their decision"
on the statehood issue, Keshava Rao had announced after the
meeting of party MPs in Hyderabad.
Parliament sources said that the Speaker found that the
resignations were not as per a rule which stipulates that the
resignation should be in a certain format and a member doing
so shall not give any reason for the resignation.
The Congress MPs whose resignations were rejected by
the Speaker are Ponnam Prabhakar, G S Reddy, M Jagannath, S
Rajaiah, P Balram Nayak, G Vivekanand, Suresh Shetkar and
Madhu Goud Yakshi.
The others whose resignation was rejected are TDP
MPs, Ramesh Rathod and Namma Nageswara Rao, and TRS chief K
Chandrashekar Rao and party MP Vijayashanti.
Parliament sources said that some of these MPs had
attended the Committee meetings even after tendering their
resignations while others have put up questions and some have
even attended the House.
The resignations of two MPs K R G Reddy and M Rajmohan
Reddy are still under examination of the Speaker. Rajmohan
Reddy who has been a Congress member had joined the YSR
In the Rajya Sabha, Chairman Hamid Ansari is yet to take
a view on the resignation of Congress member K Keshav Rao,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note