Resigned to protest efforts to block Telangana: AP minister
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Minister D Sridhar Babu, who quit after he was divested of Legislative Affairs portfolio, on Friday said he decided to resign from his post to protest alleged moves to block the formation of separate Telangana.
Babu, who belongs to Telangana, resigned yesterday after he was stripped of the Legislative Affairs portfolio by Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy.
"Telangana people are waiting for the formation of a separate state. It is unfortunate that leaders from Seemandhra, including the Chief Minister, have not realised this. I have not quit for myself, but against the moves that are being made to stall Telangana," he said.
Babu said his resignation was only a small step when compared to the "sacrifices made by mothers of those who lost their lives for Telangana."
The Seemandhra leaders should let the debate on draft Telangana bill take place in the legislature, where the winter session resumed today, he said.
In a minor change of portfolios of his ministers, the Chief Minister had divested Babu of Legislative Affairs and given him commercial taxes in addition to civil supplies.
The Legislative Affairs portfolio was entrusted to Primary Education Minister S Sailajanath, who is the convener of Seemandhra MLAs and MLCs forum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video