Respect people`s wishes, Kiran warns his own party, Centre
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Thursday night issued an indirect warning to his party -- Congress -- and the Central government, saying people would "declare a holiday" if any party or government did not take decisions as per their wishes.
The Chief Minister`s statement, made at a function to mark the official language day here, assumes significance in the backdrop of the growing agitation in Andhra-Rayalaseema regions against the proposed bifurcation of the state.
"In a democracy, people are the ultimate decision-makers. Any party or government can`t take decisions against the people`s will. If they do so, people will declare a holiday (on such parties and governments). That is the beauty of the democracy," Kiran said, in what is being interpreted as a warning to the Congress high command as well as the UPA government over the bifurcation move.
The Chief Minister has been strongly opposing the division of Andhra Pradesh, notwithstanding the Congress Central Working Committee`s resolution in favour of creation of Telangana state.
He had so far not spoken out directly against the party high command over the issue, but had categorically said that he was against the state`s division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'