Respect people`s wishes, Kiran warns his own party, Centre
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Thursday night issued an indirect warning to his party -- Congress -- and the Central government, saying people would "declare a holiday" if any party or government did not take decisions as per their wishes.
The Chief Minister`s statement, made at a function to mark the official language day here, assumes significance in the backdrop of the growing agitation in Andhra-Rayalaseema regions against the proposed bifurcation of the state.
"In a democracy, people are the ultimate decision-makers. Any party or government can`t take decisions against the people`s will. If they do so, people will declare a holiday (on such parties and governments). That is the beauty of the democracy," Kiran said, in what is being interpreted as a warning to the Congress high command as well as the UPA government over the bifurcation move.
The Chief Minister has been strongly opposing the division of Andhra Pradesh, notwithstanding the Congress Central Working Committee`s resolution in favour of creation of Telangana state.
He had so far not spoken out directly against the party high command over the issue, but had categorically said that he was against the state`s division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh