Robbers try to break into bank, shoot police officer
Hyderabad: A police officer was shot by robbers during a failed attempt to loot a bank in the Medak district of Andhra Pradesh early Friday, police said.
At least three robbers tried to break into a bank at Kaveli village under Zaheerabad Police station limits at about 1.30 am, but fled when the internal alarm went off.
Police Sub-Inspector Venkatesh, who rushed to the spot after being alerted, chased them.
"The accused fired at least five rounds and two of them hit him," a senior police officer told PTI over phone from Sangareddy.
The PSI was operated upon at a hospital in Hyderabad and his condition was now stable, the officer added.
The dacoits were suspected to be either from Maharashtra or Bihar, and the firearm used by them seemed to be a country-made one. Efforts were on to nab them, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step