Robbers try to break into bank, shoot police officer
Hyderabad: A police officer was shot by robbers during a failed attempt to loot a bank in the Medak district of Andhra Pradesh early Friday, police said.
At least three robbers tried to break into a bank at Kaveli village under Zaheerabad Police station limits at about 1.30 am, but fled when the internal alarm went off.
Police Sub-Inspector Venkatesh, who rushed to the spot after being alerted, chased them.
"The accused fired at least five rounds and two of them hit him," a senior police officer told PTI over phone from Sangareddy.
The PSI was operated upon at a hospital in Hyderabad and his condition was now stable, the officer added.
The dacoits were suspected to be either from Maharashtra or Bihar, and the firearm used by them seemed to be a country-made one. Efforts were on to nab them, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"