Robbers try to break into bank, shoot police officer
Hyderabad: A police officer was shot by robbers during a failed attempt to loot a bank in the Medak district of Andhra Pradesh early Friday, police said.
At least three robbers tried to break into a bank at Kaveli village under Zaheerabad Police station limits at about 1.30 am, but fled when the internal alarm went off.
Police Sub-Inspector Venkatesh, who rushed to the spot after being alerted, chased them.
"The accused fired at least five rounds and two of them hit him," a senior police officer told PTI over phone from Sangareddy.
The PSI was operated upon at a hospital in Hyderabad and his condition was now stable, the officer added.
The dacoits were suspected to be either from Maharashtra or Bihar, and the firearm used by them seemed to be a country-made one. Efforts were on to nab them, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy