Robbers try to break into bank, shoot police officer
Hyderabad: A police officer was shot by robbers during a failed attempt to loot a bank in the Medak district of Andhra Pradesh early Friday, police said.
At least three robbers tried to break into a bank at Kaveli village under Zaheerabad Police station limits at about 1.30 am, but fled when the internal alarm went off.
Police Sub-Inspector Venkatesh, who rushed to the spot after being alerted, chased them.
"The accused fired at least five rounds and two of them hit him," a senior police officer told PTI over phone from Sangareddy.
The PSI was operated upon at a hospital in Hyderabad and his condition was now stable, the officer added.
The dacoits were suspected to be either from Maharashtra or Bihar, and the firearm used by them seemed to be a country-made one. Efforts were on to nab them, police said.
- Bangladesh PM a jihadi sympathizer, says Taslima Nasreen after editor hacked to death
- Anurag Thakur presents private member bill on sports in Lok Sabha, seeks to eliminate doping practices, match fixing
- Modi govt revises EPF interest rate again; hikes it to 8.8%
- If I say I like Pizza will they expunge that too? Asks Subramanian Swamy
- Photo album: Bipasha Basu's mehendi ceremony was a starry affair!