Robbers try to break into bank, shoot police officer
Hyderabad: A police officer was shot by robbers during a failed attempt to loot a bank in the Medak district of Andhra Pradesh early Friday, police said.
At least three robbers tried to break into a bank at Kaveli village under Zaheerabad Police station limits at about 1.30 am, but fled when the internal alarm went off.
Police Sub-Inspector Venkatesh, who rushed to the spot after being alerted, chased them.
"The accused fired at least five rounds and two of them hit him," a senior police officer told PTI over phone from Sangareddy.
The PSI was operated upon at a hospital in Hyderabad and his condition was now stable, the officer added.
The dacoits were suspected to be either from Maharashtra or Bihar, and the firearm used by them seemed to be a country-made one. Efforts were on to nab them, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic