Rs 12.5 cr cash seized ahead of Andhra Pradesh panchayat polls
Hyderabad: Police and election authorities in Andhra Pradesh have seized unaccounted cash of Rs 12.56 crore so far ahead of the first phase of gram panchayat polls, scheduled for July 23, State Election Commissioner P Ramakanth Reddy said on Saturday.
As many as 327 persons were arrested while a total of 10,000 poll-related cases were registered.
"We have identified 5,810 hyper-sensitive and 6,189 sensitive villages. Another 770 villages have been identified as Maoist-affected. We are deploying elaborate security in these villages to ensure smooth polling," the SEC said.
Over 1.08 lakh employees would be posted for election duties while 7,300 micro-observers would keep a watch on the polls, Reddy added.
Replying to a question, the SEC said decision on postponement of elections in flood-hit villages would be taken after reports were obtained from the respective district collectors.
The model code of conduct would not come in the way of relief and rehabilitation in flood-affected areas, he said. "It is the primary responsibility and duty of the government and the officials. They can`t be bound by the code," the SEC noted.
State Election Commission Secretary Navin Mittal was also present at the press conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state