Rs 12.5 cr cash seized ahead of Andhra Pradesh panchayat polls
Hyderabad: Police and election authorities in Andhra Pradesh have seized unaccounted cash of Rs 12.56 crore so far ahead of the first phase of gram panchayat polls, scheduled for July 23, State Election Commissioner P Ramakanth Reddy said on Saturday.
As many as 327 persons were arrested while a total of 10,000 poll-related cases were registered.
"We have identified 5,810 hyper-sensitive and 6,189 sensitive villages. Another 770 villages have been identified as Maoist-affected. We are deploying elaborate security in these villages to ensure smooth polling," the SEC said.
Over 1.08 lakh employees would be posted for election duties while 7,300 micro-observers would keep a watch on the polls, Reddy added.
Replying to a question, the SEC said decision on postponement of elections in flood-hit villages would be taken after reports were obtained from the respective district collectors.
The model code of conduct would not come in the way of relief and rehabilitation in flood-affected areas, he said. "It is the primary responsibility and duty of the government and the officials. They can`t be bound by the code," the SEC noted.
State Election Commission Secretary Navin Mittal was also present at the press conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites