Rumour triggers train tragedy in Andhra Pradesh; 10 killed
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: Ten persons were run over by a train in Andhra Pradesh on Saturday after they pulled a chain and got down from another train following rumours of a fire.
According to East Coast railway spokesperson, some of the passengers of Bokaro Express (Alleppy to Dhanbad), proceeding to Bokaro Steel city, pulled the chain at the railway yard at Gotlam station near Vizianagaram town when they heard a rumour that a compartment of the train was on fire and jumped out on the tracks at around 6.50 pm.
Police said the incident occurred when some passengers of the Alappuzha-Dhanbad Express pulled chain and got down after rumours of the train catching fire. According to eyewitnesses, they came under Raigarh-Vijayawada passenger train on the adjacent track.
"The passengers pulled the chain as rumours spread that one of the compartments (of Bokaro Express) had caught fire. As it was dark, they did not notice the oncoming train", the East Coast railway spokesperson said adding ten passengers of Bokaro Express were killed and an equal number injured.
The dead included two women. Two passengers were injured. Railway authorities have set up a helpline at Visakhapatnam to provide information about the victims. The telephone numbers are 0891-2843003, 2843004, 2843005.
Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy, who is in Bangalore, expressed shock and anguish over the mishap. He directed the collector, superintendent of police and other top officials to supervise rescue and relief operations.
According to a statement from the chief minister`s office, he asked officials to provide the best treatment to the injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...