Rumour triggers train tragedy in Andhra Pradesh; 10 killed
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: Ten persons were run over by a train in Andhra Pradesh on Saturday after they pulled a chain and got down from another train following rumours of a fire.
According to East Coast railway spokesperson, some of the passengers of Bokaro Express (Alleppy to Dhanbad), proceeding to Bokaro Steel city, pulled the chain at the railway yard at Gotlam station near Vizianagaram town when they heard a rumour that a compartment of the train was on fire and jumped out on the tracks at around 6.50 pm.
Police said the incident occurred when some passengers of the Alappuzha-Dhanbad Express pulled chain and got down after rumours of the train catching fire. According to eyewitnesses, they came under Raigarh-Vijayawada passenger train on the adjacent track.
"The passengers pulled the chain as rumours spread that one of the compartments (of Bokaro Express) had caught fire. As it was dark, they did not notice the oncoming train", the East Coast railway spokesperson said adding ten passengers of Bokaro Express were killed and an equal number injured.
The dead included two women. Two passengers were injured. Railway authorities have set up a helpline at Visakhapatnam to provide information about the victims. The telephone numbers are 0891-2843003, 2843004, 2843005.
Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy, who is in Bangalore, expressed shock and anguish over the mishap. He directed the collector, superintendent of police and other top officials to supervise rescue and relief operations.
According to a statement from the chief minister`s office, he asked officials to provide the best treatment to the injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?