Sakshi writes to Press Council against CBI action
Hyderabad: Sakshi media house, owned by Kadapa MP Y S Jaganmohan Reddy, today filed an application with the Editors` Guild and the Press Council of India against CBI`s action of freezing its bank accounts and the state government`s decision to ban issuing advertisements to Sakshi Telugu daily and news channel.
In separate representations to the Guild and the PCI, Sakshi editorial director S Ramakrishna Reddy lamented that the CBI`s act has left Sakshi newspaper "virtually paralysed."
"This is not only an attack on the employees of Sakshi media but also on the media and freedom of press. How can CBI indulge in this unlawful act of freezing the current accounts that impact livelihood of more than 20,000 persons, besides gagging media establishments," he asked.
The CBI neither issued prior notice to the company nor informed the court concerned before freezing the bank accounts, he pointed out.
While the Sakshi management has challenged the CBI order in the court, its employees also filed another petition in the state High Court, Ramakrishna Reddy added.
CBI got the bank accounts of Jagati Publications, Indira Television and Janani Infrastructure, belonging to Y S Jagan, frozen on May 8 as part of the investigations into the MP`s disproportionate assets case. The next day, the AP government issued an order asking its departments, corporations and other wings not to issue advertisements to Sakshi newspaper and television channel.
Sakshi management, however, did not get any relief as the special court of CBI refused to defreeze the bank accounts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand