`Samaikyandhra` agitators demand resignation of Vijayawada MP
Vijayawada: Congress MP from Vijayawada L Rajagopal on Saturday faced ire of the `Samaikyandhra` agitators when he reached a relay fast site at Autonagar in the city this morning to express his solidarity towards the protest.
The agitators demanded that he should first resign as MP and then participate in the Samaikyandhra agitation.
When he tried to explain his position, the agitators raised slogans against him, following which there was a minor scuffle between the two groups, sources said. The police had to intervene and urged Rajagopal to leave the venue.
Following the incident, the Government Employees Joint Action Committee chairman A Vidyasagar demanded an apology from Rajagopal. In a press release, he stated that the Autonagar workers have been agitating since last 52 days.
"All people`s representatives should resign immediately in support of the movement. Only announcing resignation would not suffice," he said.
Later Rajagopal told reporters that he had been agitating against the state division since 2009. "I would not be in politics if the state is divided. Eighty per cent of the people from the state are in support of unified state but the political parties are acting against their wishes," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video