SC issues contempt notice to AP on teachers recruitment row
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday issued a
contempt notice to Andhra Pradesh government on an
application alleging violation of the apex court`s order
vis-a-vis recruitment of 18,000 Secondary Grade Teachers(SGT)
posts in the state.
A bench of Justices R M Lodha and A K Patnaik sought a
response of the state within four weeks on the contempt
application filed by certain D.Ed (Diploma in Education)
"We will examine whether our orders have been violated.
Naturally, we will take it to the logical conclusion", the
bench said while directing the state counsel D Bharathi Reddy
to file the response in an affidavit within four weeks.
The aggrieved candidates had alleged the state
government had gone ahead with the recuritment process from
June 21 despite the fact that on May 14, 2009, the apex court
had referred the dispute between the diploma holders B.Ed
(Bachelor of Education) to a three-judge bench.
The contention of the diploma holders is that the SGT
posts are exclusively meant for diploma holders as they claim
to be better qualified to teach children of the 1-4 classes at
the primary school leave. They cited the NCTE (National
Council of Technical Education ) rules in support of the
The state government had, however, issued a notification
permitting both the D.Ed and B.Ed candidates to vie for the
The Andhra Pradesh High Court had earlier upheld the
government`s decision to permit both streams of candiates to
vie for the posts on the ground that the NCTE guidelines will
be applicable only to teachers training institutes and not
for the government recruitment policy.
The diploma holders approached the apex court which
referred the dispute to a larger bench.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say