SC issues contempt notice to AP on teachers recruitment row
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday issued a
contempt notice to Andhra Pradesh government on an
application alleging violation of the apex court`s order
vis-a-vis recruitment of 18,000 Secondary Grade Teachers(SGT)
posts in the state.
A bench of Justices R M Lodha and A K Patnaik sought a
response of the state within four weeks on the contempt
application filed by certain D.Ed (Diploma in Education)
"We will examine whether our orders have been violated.
Naturally, we will take it to the logical conclusion", the
bench said while directing the state counsel D Bharathi Reddy
to file the response in an affidavit within four weeks.
The aggrieved candidates had alleged the state
government had gone ahead with the recuritment process from
June 21 despite the fact that on May 14, 2009, the apex court
had referred the dispute between the diploma holders B.Ed
(Bachelor of Education) to a three-judge bench.
The contention of the diploma holders is that the SGT
posts are exclusively meant for diploma holders as they claim
to be better qualified to teach children of the 1-4 classes at
the primary school leave. They cited the NCTE (National
Council of Technical Education ) rules in support of the
The state government had, however, issued a notification
permitting both the D.Ed and B.Ed candidates to vie for the
The Andhra Pradesh High Court had earlier upheld the
government`s decision to permit both streams of candiates to
vie for the posts on the ground that the NCTE guidelines will
be applicable only to teachers training institutes and not
for the government recruitment policy.
The diploma holders approached the apex court which
referred the dispute to a larger bench.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC