SC notice to CBI over bail for Jagan Mohan Reddy
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) asking the probe agency to explain why politician Jagan Mohan Reddy, who is in jail for nearly a year, should not be granted bail.
According to reports, the CBI has been asked to file its response by May 6 in the apex court.
While arguing on behalf of Reddy, his lawyer quoted a recent news report that said a Union Minister had suggested that if Jagan Mohan agrees to join the Congress, the party his father belonged to, he may be able to "come out of jail."
Reddy, 40, was arrested in Hyderabad for alleged corruption. The CBI says that when his father, YSR Reddy, was chief minister of Andhra Pradesh, he pressured companies to invest in his son`s vast business empire.
In return, YSR allegedly gave them licenses and clearances necessary for their own companies.
YSR died in a helicopter crash in September 2009.
Jagan Mohan says that the CBI investigation against him is punishment for his decision to quit the Congress in 2011 to launch his own political party, the YSR Congress.
Jagan Mohan in 2011 declared assets worth Rs. 365 crores.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened