SC notice to CBI over bail for Jagan Mohan Reddy
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) asking the probe agency to explain why politician Jagan Mohan Reddy, who is in jail for nearly a year, should not be granted bail.
According to reports, the CBI has been asked to file its response by May 6 in the apex court.
While arguing on behalf of Reddy, his lawyer quoted a recent news report that said a Union Minister had suggested that if Jagan Mohan agrees to join the Congress, the party his father belonged to, he may be able to "come out of jail."
Reddy, 40, was arrested in Hyderabad for alleged corruption. The CBI says that when his father, YSR Reddy, was chief minister of Andhra Pradesh, he pressured companies to invest in his son`s vast business empire.
In return, YSR allegedly gave them licenses and clearances necessary for their own companies.
YSR died in a helicopter crash in September 2009.
Jagan Mohan says that the CBI investigation against him is punishment for his decision to quit the Congress in 2011 to launch his own political party, the YSR Congress.
Jagan Mohan in 2011 declared assets worth Rs. 365 crores.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Bhagwant Mann video row: LS Speaker seeks report on Parliament security, may summon AAP MP
- My presidency will restore `safety` in US, says Donald Trump in acceptance speech
- Vatican invited to mediate in Venezuela crisis
- Nigeria 'talking to' oil rebels: Buhari
- Muslims have always been a part of America: Obama