SC now bans mining by Reddy brothers in Anantapur
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday extended
its interim order banning mining and transportation of iron
ore by Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC), owned by Karnataka`s
Reddy brothers in Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh.
However, the apex court referred back the matter to
the Andhra Pradesh High Court asking it to take a decision
The order to this effect was passed by a Bench headed
by Chief Justice KG Balakrishnan after OMC and Andhra Pradesh
government consented to the suggestion made by the Bench in
The apex court said that the Andhra Pradesh government
will file its response within a week before the High Court.
It also asked the parties to the dispute to appear
before the High Court, which has posted the matter for hearing
on January 18.
The High Court had stayed the government order of the
Andhra Pradesh government, restraining the company from
carrying out mining activities in the area on the basis of the
report of the apex court-appointed Central Empowered Committee
Andhra Pradesh government had challenged the High
Court order in the Supreme Court.
The apex court also gave opportunity to the CEC to
appear before the High Court.
The CEC was constituted by the Supreme Court to
inquire into the matter based on a writ petition filed by
Tapal Ganesh of Bellary against the OMC over alleged illegal
mining activity in violation of the Forest Conservation Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened