SC OKs 4 weeks to AP on top Maoist leader`s bail
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday granted 4
weeks time to Andhra Pradesh government to file a rejoinder to
the plea for cancellation of bail granted to top Maoist leader
Kobad Ghandy by the High Court in connection with the killing
of 9 persons including a senior Congress leader.
The apex court had on January 27 stayed the Andhra
Pradesh High Court order granting bail to Ghandy accused of
killing of then Deputy Assembly Speaker Narsi Reddy and eight
others in August 15, 2005.
A bench of justices BS Chauhan and JS Khehar passed the
order after the state`s counsel Mahavir Singh Prasad and
Mahesh Babu urged the court to grant time to file a rejoinder
to the reply filed by Ghandy in pursuant to the apex court`s
decision to stay the bail.
While staying the bail, the apex court had issued notices
to Ghandy who is at present lodged in Delhi`s Tihar Jail.
The Maoist leader, who has been in jail since 2009 after
his arrest, is facing trial in around 20 criminal cases in
different parts of the country.
Congress leader Chittem Narsi Reddy, and 8 others were
killed by Maoists in Narayanapet in Mahbubnagar district on
August 15, 2005.
On August 10, 2011, the High Court had granted bail to
Ghandy on the ground that there was no evidence to deny him
The state government had claimed Ghandy had confessed to
his role in a statement made after his arrest in Delhi in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!