Scribes protest against police manhandling in Andhra assembly
Hyderabad: Media persons today held a protest
in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly here demanding action against
policemen who allegedly manhandled some scribes at the Osmania
The police allegedly hit two mediapersons, causing
grievous injuries, while shooting the lathi-charge on students
and other Telangana supporters at Manikeshwar Nagar near the
university campus today.
Angry over the incident, the mediapersons staged a dharna
at the campus and later at the State Assembly.
State Home Minister P Sabita Indra Reddy tried to pacify
the protesters by assuring them of appropriate action against
the concerned policemen, but it was of no avail.
The scribes later held a sit-in inside the Assembly
demanding Chief Minister K Rosaiah`s intervention in the
matter and suspension of the erring policemen.
Rosaiah assured the agitating mediapersons that action
would be taken against the police officer after a thorough
The state government has transferred Deputy Commissioner
of Police of East Zone Stephen Ravindra after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured