Scribes protest against police manhandling in Andhra assembly
Hyderabad: Media persons today held a protest
in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly here demanding action against
policemen who allegedly manhandled some scribes at the Osmania
The police allegedly hit two mediapersons, causing
grievous injuries, while shooting the lathi-charge on students
and other Telangana supporters at Manikeshwar Nagar near the
university campus today.
Angry over the incident, the mediapersons staged a dharna
at the campus and later at the State Assembly.
State Home Minister P Sabita Indra Reddy tried to pacify
the protesters by assuring them of appropriate action against
the concerned policemen, but it was of no avail.
The scribes later held a sit-in inside the Assembly
demanding Chief Minister K Rosaiah`s intervention in the
matter and suspension of the erring policemen.
Rosaiah assured the agitating mediapersons that action
would be taken against the police officer after a thorough
The state government has transferred Deputy Commissioner
of Police of East Zone Stephen Ravindra after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video