Secunderabad building collapse: Death toll rises to 17
Hyderabad: The death toll in the collapse of a Secunderabad hotel building mounted to 17 on Tuesday with four more bodies being pulled out from under the debris even as GHMC launched a drive to demolish unsafe buildings.
"Fifteen people are undergoing treatment for injuries they sustained in the collapse of City Light Hotel and Bakery on Rashtrapati Road yesterday," Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) Commissioner MT Krishna Babu said.
The removal of the debris would continue tonight as well, he said.
The nearly 80-year-old two-storeyed building crumbled yesterday morning.
Police said that son of the hotel owner was one of the victims in the mishap.
"The injured were shifted to state-run Gandhi Hospital, where five among them were discharged while doctors performed surgeries on four others," an official said.
Meanwhile, the GHMC began a drive to demolish unsafe buildings and verify the safety of old buildings.
A combination of factors like construction of furnaces for cooking in the upper floor and seepage from a water tank have been cited as the possible reasons for the collapse.
A police case of negligence had also been registered against hotel owners.
The eatery was a favourite for morning tea and snacks for a large number of people, especially those belonging to the working class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest