Secunderabad building collapse: Death toll rises to 17
Hyderabad: The death toll in the collapse of a Secunderabad hotel building mounted to 17 on Tuesday with four more bodies being pulled out from under the debris even as GHMC launched a drive to demolish unsafe buildings.
"Fifteen people are undergoing treatment for injuries they sustained in the collapse of City Light Hotel and Bakery on Rashtrapati Road yesterday," Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) Commissioner MT Krishna Babu said.
The removal of the debris would continue tonight as well, he said.
The nearly 80-year-old two-storeyed building crumbled yesterday morning.
Police said that son of the hotel owner was one of the victims in the mishap.
"The injured were shifted to state-run Gandhi Hospital, where five among them were discharged while doctors performed surgeries on four others," an official said.
Meanwhile, the GHMC began a drive to demolish unsafe buildings and verify the safety of old buildings.
A combination of factors like construction of furnaces for cooking in the upper floor and seepage from a water tank have been cited as the possible reasons for the collapse.
A police case of negligence had also been registered against hotel owners.
The eatery was a favourite for morning tea and snacks for a large number of people, especially those belonging to the working class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack