Seemandhra: Banks, Central offices remain shut in East Godavari
Rajahmundry: Public sector banks remained closed in East Godavari district on the shutdown call given by the Andhra Pradesh Non-Gazetted Officers Association against proposed division of the state.
"All banks in the district are voluntarily closed and business transactions severely affected," said spokesman of a public sector bank.
He said transactions over Rs 70 crore got affected due to the closure of as many as 33 banks of State Bank of India.
He said dealings to the tune of Rs 10 crore were affected in the Rajahmundry division alone.
Students held demonstrations in front of Rajahmundry railway station as part of their protest to besiege offices of Central government and national banks.
Offices of ONGC, Telegraphs office, BSNL remained closed today.
Pro-united state activists have been opposing proposed bifurcation of the state since the Congress Working Committee adopted a resolution this July to carve out separate Telangana state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Now, Lexit: London wants to stay with EU, says petition
- UP cops fight publicly over 'share of bribe', video goes viral - Watch
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic