Seemandhra employees in secretariat boycott work
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed at the Andhra Pradesh state secretariat here on Saturday as the employees from Rayalaseema and Andhra regions boycotted their work and staged protests against the decision of the central government to carve out separate Telangana state.
After staging protests during lunch-hour for last three days, the employees on Saturday boycotted their work and took out a rally. They staged a sit-in in front of Chief Minister`s office, demanding resignation of all ministers, MPs and state legislators from Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and Andhra).
Leaders of the newly-formed Secretariat Seemandhra Employees Forum demanded that the central government withdraw its decision to bifurcate the state.
The protestors raised slogans of "we want justice" and "we want Hyderabad". They alleged that the decision would badly affect thousands of government employees from Seemandhra.
They stopped the vehicle of state minister S Sailajanath, demanding his resignation.
The minister said he and other ministers were for united Andhra Pradesh and they were ready to sacrifice their posts.
"Hyderabad is built with the sweat and bloods of people of Seemandhra," the minister said when employees voiced apprehensions about their safety and future in the city.
The forum leaders condemned the remarks of Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K Chandrasekhara Rao.
Rao had said on Friday that Seemandhra employees would have to go back to their respective regions after the formation of separate Telangana state.
Tension also prevailed at Beema Bhavan here when employees of Telangana staged a protest to counter a sit-in by their counterparts from Seemandhra.
Leaders of Andhra Pradesh Non-Gazetted Officers (APNGO) association, representing Seemandhra employees and TNGO of Telangana employees raised slogans against each other. Police officers intervened to pacify the two groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon