Seemandhra legislators should withdraw support to govt: JAC
Rajahmundry: Seemandhra Lawyers Joint Action Committee (JAC) on Sunday alleged that MLAs and MPs from the region remained complacent even as the division of Andhra Pradesh was being finalised by the Congress-led UPA government at Centre.
"It is apparent that our MPs and MLAs from Seemandhra were caught unaware when the then Home Minister P Chidambaram had made the statement saying the process for creation of Telangana has begun," alleged JAC co-convenor Muppalla Subba Rao.
He was addressing reporters at a "meet-the-press" programme here after returning from Delhi where lawyers held a sit-in protest on Friday.
"These legislators did not utter a word at that time but now when the Seemandhra agitation is at its peak they are doing a political drama saying they have resigned from their post," he said.
Rao said the legislators should hand over a letter withdrawing support to UPA government at Centre to President and create a "constitutional crisis" to impress upon the government to rescind the decision to bifurcate the state.
"Some political parties and their leaders will be completely disappear from the Andhra Pradesh`s political scene after 2014 elections," the leader said.
He said Seemandhra legislators were shying away from the electorate and are avoiding visiting their respective constituencies.
Rao said that over 35,000 lawyers from 13 Seemandhra districts are abstaining from attending courts against the division plan.
"The lawyers will meet on October 26 at Visakhapatnam and chalk out their future course of action. We will continue our stir till Centre withdraws its decision to divide Andhra Pradesh," Rao said.
He also demanded withdrawal of cases filed by police against supporters of united Andhra, including students, lawyers, APNGOs and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what