Seemandhra shutdown brings normal life to a halt
Hyderabad: Normal life came to a grinding halt in Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra regions of Andhra Pradesh due to the shutdown called to protest possible tabling of Telangana bill in Parliament on Thursday.
Buses of state-owned Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) went off the roads in all 13 districts of Seemandhra, as the two regions are collectively called.
Shops, business establishments, petrol bunks and educational institutions remained closed in response to the shutdown call given by Andhra Pradesh Non-Gazetted Officers (APNGOs) Association, which represents the government employees in Seemandhra.
YSR Congress party and Congress and Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leaders in Seemandhra have announced support to the shutdown.
The government employees, who are on strike for last one week opposing the proposed bifurcation of the state, and activists of various parties took to streets since early Thursday. They laid siege to APSRTC depots to stop buses from coming out.
Raising slogans in support of united Andhra Pradesh, the protesters also staged road blockades on national and state highways, affecting the movement of vehicles.
Shutdown hit life in Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada, Guntur, Ongole, Tirupati, Kurnool, Anantapur, Kadapa and other towns in Seemandhra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan