Seemandhra shutdown brings normal life to a halt
Hyderabad: Normal life came to a grinding halt in Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra regions of Andhra Pradesh due to the shutdown called to protest possible tabling of Telangana bill in Parliament on Thursday.
Buses of state-owned Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) went off the roads in all 13 districts of Seemandhra, as the two regions are collectively called.
Shops, business establishments, petrol bunks and educational institutions remained closed in response to the shutdown call given by Andhra Pradesh Non-Gazetted Officers (APNGOs) Association, which represents the government employees in Seemandhra.
YSR Congress party and Congress and Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leaders in Seemandhra have announced support to the shutdown.
The government employees, who are on strike for last one week opposing the proposed bifurcation of the state, and activists of various parties took to streets since early Thursday. They laid siege to APSRTC depots to stop buses from coming out.
Raising slogans in support of united Andhra Pradesh, the protesters also staged road blockades on national and state highways, affecting the movement of vehicles.
Shutdown hit life in Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada, Guntur, Ongole, Tirupati, Kurnool, Anantapur, Kadapa and other towns in Seemandhra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof