Seemandhra shutdown brings normal life to a halt
Hyderabad: Normal life came to a grinding halt in Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra regions of Andhra Pradesh due to the shutdown called to protest possible tabling of Telangana bill in Parliament on Thursday.
Buses of state-owned Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) went off the roads in all 13 districts of Seemandhra, as the two regions are collectively called.
Shops, business establishments, petrol bunks and educational institutions remained closed in response to the shutdown call given by Andhra Pradesh Non-Gazetted Officers (APNGOs) Association, which represents the government employees in Seemandhra.
YSR Congress party and Congress and Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leaders in Seemandhra have announced support to the shutdown.
The government employees, who are on strike for last one week opposing the proposed bifurcation of the state, and activists of various parties took to streets since early Thursday. They laid siege to APSRTC depots to stop buses from coming out.
Raising slogans in support of united Andhra Pradesh, the protesters also staged road blockades on national and state highways, affecting the movement of vehicles.
Shutdown hit life in Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada, Guntur, Ongole, Tirupati, Kurnool, Anantapur, Kadapa and other towns in Seemandhra.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed