`Separate Telangana could see more Maoist activity`
Hyderabad: The Srikrishna Committee fears spurt in Maoist activity in a separate Telangana state with or without Hyderabad as its capital.
"It also has to be borne in mind that Telangana with or without Hyderabad is likely to experience a spurt in Maoist activity," says the report in its last chapter `The way forward`.
The committee did not elaborate but said a note on the issue had been prepared and submitted to the ministry of home affairs in a separate cover along with the report.
The five-member panel, in its report, said it examined immediate law and order problems, and also the long-term internal security implications, including the growth of Maoist/Naxal activities.
"These apprehensions had been expressed in the memoranda submitted by the political parties and various other groups, and also during interactions with different stake holders at the state level meetings as well as when the committee visited the districts and villages."
"Besides, the member secretary had one to one discussions on this subject with senior officers of the state government, police department and local administration (in 17 districts). Inputs were also obtained from various other sources," says the committee in a brief half-page chapter on `law and order and internal security dimensions`.
The reports says the committee kept these dimensions in view while discussing various options.
The committee has suggested six options including union territory state to Hyderabad and the historic city as the capital of a separate Telangana state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka