Seven arrested for Akbaruddin Owaisi attack
Hyderabad: Seven persons have so far been
arrested in connection with the attack on Majlis-e-Ittehadul
Muslimeen (MIM) legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi here, police said on Tuesday.
"Investigation into the murderous attack on Akbaruddin
is almost complete. Seven accused have been arrested till date
on charges of conspiring and participating in the attack,"
Hyderabad Police Commissioner AK Khan told reporters.
"Besides, two other assailants, who were injured
during the attack, would be arrested after they get discharged
from hospital," he said.
Ruling out any direct political "conspiracy" behind
the April 30 incident, Khan said the attack was planned 10-15
days ago. A group of ten assailants attacked the MLA with
sharp weapons and firearms near the MIM office at Barkas.
Prime suspect Mohammad Pahalwan was arrested the same day.
The Police Commissioner said some more suspects are
being interrogated and did not rule out more arrests.
"The attack may be a fallout of land dispute as
Akbaruddin opposed encroachments of government lands
(allegedly occupied by some among the assailants) in
Chandrayangutta and Bandlaguda areas. Apart from this reason
there may be some earlier differences that led to the attack,"
The MLA was actively assisting government officials
who were taking possession of government lands under illegal
occupation, including those under the "illegal" occupation of
the accused persons, the Commissioner said.
"As a result the accused bore a grudge and hatched a
plan to eliminate Akbaruddin," Khan added.
One of the assailants, Ibrahim Bin Younus Yafai, who
received firearm injury along with Awad Bin Younus and
Abdullah Bin Younus Yafai, died when the gunman of another
MIM MLA, Ahmed Balala who was accompanying Akbaruddin, fired
in retaliation, Khan explained.
Those arrested till now are: Mohd Bin Omer Yafai alias
Mohammed Pahalwan, Hussain Bin Omer Yafai, Yahiya Bin Younus
Yafai, Isa Bin Yafai, Faisal Bin Yafai, Fazal Bin Ahmed and
Younus Bin Omer Yafai, he said.
"Circumstantial evidence, eyewitness accounts,
forensic evidence, evidence for conspiracy, preparation to
committ offence have been collected to substantial extent and
we will be chargesheeting the accused soon."
Asked if there was a counter case, the city police
chief said the ACP Falaknuma Division had received a complaint
through speed-post after the incident. "After obtaining legal
opinion we will see if any case has to be filed."
Meanwhile, a medical bulletin issued by Care Hospital,
where Akbaruddin is undergoing treatment, said his condition
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi