`Shinde called all-party meet on Telangana to know views afresh`
Hyderabad: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde has convened all-party meeting on Telangana on December 28 as he has recently taken over and wants to know the views of the parties on the issue, Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad said.
Azad, the Union Health Minister and in charge of party affairs in Andhra Pradesh, recalled that the central government earlier held two all-party meetings on the issue.
"Since Mr Sushil Kumar Shinde recently took over, he has called the meeting to know the views afresh," Azad told reporters here on Thursday.
The central leader`s statement may come as a disappointment for a section of Congress MPs from Telangana, who are expecting a positive decision by the central government for separate statehood to Telangana region, which comprises 10 districts including Hyderabad.
Bowing to the pressure from seven Congress MPs, the central government on Wednesday agreed to call the all-party meeting.
Azad said a decision was yet to be taken on the number of representatives each party can send to the meet. He hoped that all parties will participate and express their views frankly.
"There are divergent views over Telangana. Some want Telangana state, some want both Telangana and Andhra and there also others who want the state to remain united," he said.
In the all-party meetings held in the past, the parties had taken diametrically opposite stands.
Azad also held talks with former chief of state Congress D Srinivas and state minister K Jana Reddy, both hailing from Telangana.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy and state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana met Azad and demanded that the proposed all-party meet on Telangana be either advanced or postponed as its date is clashing with the World Telugu Conference at Tirupati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?