Shutdown in Andhra to oppose statehood to Telangana
Hyderabad: A shutdown is being observed in Rayalaseema and Andhra regions of Andhra Pradesh Friday to protest any move to divide the state.
Educational institutions remained closed in Seemandhra, as the two regions are usually referred to, while shops and business establishments voluntarily downed shutters in some towns in response to the shutdown call given by Samaikya Andhra or united Andhra students` Joint Action Committee (JAC).
All colleges remained closed under 13 universities in the two regions. The universities have also postponed their post graduation counselling and exams due to the shutdown.
Schools remained closed in Vijayawada, Guntur, Visakhapatnam, Nellore, Chittoor, Tirupati, Anantapur, Kadapa, Kurnool and other towns.
The JAC has called for shutdown on a day when Congress core committee is meeting in New Delhi amid indications that it may take a decision on the demand for separate statehood to Telangana.
In Anantapur district, the bus transport service was affected due to the shutdown. Protestors staged sit-in at the depots of state-owned Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC). More than 800 buses could not come out of the depots due to the protest, officials said.
In the temple town of Tirupati, owners of shops and business establishments downed shutters voluntarily. Students took out rallies and staged road blockades in the town and other parts of Chittoor district.
All educational institutions remained closed in coastal city of Visakhapatnam. Shops also remained closed in Guntur.
Andhra region comprises nine coastal districts while Rayalaseema has four districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy