Shutdown in Chittoor to oppose Andhra`s possible division
Hyderabad: In the face of the Central government indefinitely delaying a decision on Telangana, protests are continuing in Rayalaseema and Andhra regions of Andhra Pradesh to oppose a possible division of the state.
A shutdown was being observed on Tuesday in Chittoor district of Rayalaseema region to demand the centre to keep the state undivided.
Shops, business establishments and educational institutions remained closed in Chittoor, Tirupati and other towns.
Hundreds of people, including students, took to streets in Chittoor, opposing the demand for bifurcation of the state.
Holding banners and placards, the protestors raised slogans in support of `samaikhya Andhra` or united Andhra.
The protestors said a state formed for Telugu-speaking people should remain united.
Chittoor legislator CK Babu supported the shutdown call given by samaikhya Andhra Joint Action Committee (SAJAC).
In the temple town of Tirupati, SAJAC activists forced closure of shops. The protestors also damaged buses of those schools which were open, ignoring the shutdown call.
Protests were continuing in majority of the nine districts of Andhra and four districts of Rayalaseema to oppose possible division of the state.
Telangana comprises 10 districts, including Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'