Sitharaman elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha
Hyderabad: Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Nirmala Sitharaman was Tuesday elected unopposed to the Rajya Sabha from Andhra Pradesh.
Her election was officially announced Tuesday as no other nomination was received Monday, the last day of filing of nominations.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had nominated her for the upper house from Andhra Pradesh where the seat fell vacant after the May 9 demise of N. Janardhana Reddy, a former chief minister of Andhra Pradesh.
The Telugu Desam Party (TDP), the ruling party in Andhra Pradesh and a key partner in the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government, supported her nomination.
The election for the lone seat was scheduled July 3. As Sitharaman was the only one to file the nomination, she was declared elected unopposed.
Sitharaman, sworn in as a minister May 26, had to get elected to either house of parliament within six months.
Born in Tamil Nadu and married to a Telugu, Sitharaman is one of the more articulate BJP spokespersons.
The 54-year-old joined the BJP in 2006. She also served as a member of the National Commission for Women.
A post-graduate in economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University and a Ph.D in Indo-European textile trade within the GATT framework, Sitharaman worked as senior manager, research and analysis, with Pricewaterhouse Coopers in London and also had a short stint with the BBC World Service.
She married Parakala Prabhakar, who also served as a spokesperson for the BJP in undivided Andhra Pradesh.
He quit the BJP to join the Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) floated by actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi in 2008. He later quit the PRP following differences with Chiranjeevi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan