Six arrested for attempting to sell antique idols
Vijayawada/Hyderabad: Six persons were
arrested today from Krishna district and Hyderabad while
allegedly trying to sell rare ancient idols including that of
"Goddess Bhoodevi", police said.
Three panchaloha (five metals) idols of Lord Rama,
Lakshmana, Sita and an antique idol of Hindu Goddess
`Bhoodevi` were recovered from the four person arrested from
Gannavaram village in Krishna district while they attempted to
smuggle the idols with an intention to sell them off,
Vijayawada Commissioner of Police, K V Rajendranath Reddy told
Archaeology department officials have assessed the value
of the seized idols to be worth Rs 2 crore in international
market, the senior police officer said, adding, the exact
period and origination of the three idols is being verified.
Meanwhile, two persons were arrested from Secunderabad
Railway Station yesterday while they were allegedly trying to
sell an antique idol of Hindu Goddess `Bhoodevi` dating back
to Vijayanagara empire and approximately 400 years-old.
The arrested duo Madhusudan Reddy and his friend Rajaram
Reddy was in search of a customer to sell off the idol at Rs
30 lakh, Commissioner Task Force, DCP V B Kamalasan Reddy
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Ranbir Kapoor has a Bollywood style icon and he is a BIGGIE!
- Yemen suicide bombing: At least 45 dead so far
- West Bengal renamed as 'Bangla' in Bengali, 'Bengal' in English; state assembly passes resolution
- Massive reef ecosystem found hiding behind Great Barrier Reef
- Song alert! Riteish Deshmukh plays 'Banjo' to the tunes of 'Rada' out now!