Six arrested for attempting to sell antique idols
Vijayawada/Hyderabad: Six persons were
arrested today from Krishna district and Hyderabad while
allegedly trying to sell rare ancient idols including that of
"Goddess Bhoodevi", police said.
Three panchaloha (five metals) idols of Lord Rama,
Lakshmana, Sita and an antique idol of Hindu Goddess
`Bhoodevi` were recovered from the four person arrested from
Gannavaram village in Krishna district while they attempted to
smuggle the idols with an intention to sell them off,
Vijayawada Commissioner of Police, K V Rajendranath Reddy told
Archaeology department officials have assessed the value
of the seized idols to be worth Rs 2 crore in international
market, the senior police officer said, adding, the exact
period and origination of the three idols is being verified.
Meanwhile, two persons were arrested from Secunderabad
Railway Station yesterday while they were allegedly trying to
sell an antique idol of Hindu Goddess `Bhoodevi` dating back
to Vijayanagara empire and approximately 400 years-old.
The arrested duo Madhusudan Reddy and his friend Rajaram
Reddy was in search of a customer to sell off the idol at Rs
30 lakh, Commissioner Task Force, DCP V B Kamalasan Reddy
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference