Six Lankan fishermen arrested in Andhra coast
Kakinada: Six Sri Lankan fishermen were arrested by Marine police here for illegally fishing in Indian waters off Nizampatnam coast in Andhra Pradesh`s East Godavari district, police said on Sunday.
The Coast Guard personnel first spotted a Sri Lankan boat with six fishermen on board during routine surveillance in Bay of Bengal on Friday.
After verification, they seized the boat and handed it over to Kakinada Marine police, along with the apprehended fishermen and over 500 kg of tuna last evening, a Marine police official said.
The Sri Lankan fishermen were booked under various sections of the Maritime Zones of India Act and were produced before a court for judicial remand, the official said, adding that the fishermen had intentionally entered Indian waters and "illegally" carried out fishing activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state