Six Lankan fishermen arrested in Andhra coast
Kakinada: Six Sri Lankan fishermen were arrested by Marine police here for illegally fishing in Indian waters off Nizampatnam coast in Andhra Pradesh`s East Godavari district, police said on Sunday.
The Coast Guard personnel first spotted a Sri Lankan boat with six fishermen on board during routine surveillance in Bay of Bengal on Friday.
After verification, they seized the boat and handed it over to Kakinada Marine police, along with the apprehended fishermen and over 500 kg of tuna last evening, a Marine police official said.
The Sri Lankan fishermen were booked under various sections of the Maritime Zones of India Act and were produced before a court for judicial remand, the official said, adding that the fishermen had intentionally entered Indian waters and "illegally" carried out fishing activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss