Six traders held for abetting liquor mafia in AP
Hyderabad: Continuing its crackdown against
liquor mafia in Andhra Pradesh, Anti-Corruption Bureau sleuths
raided liquor shops in Vizianagaram district and arrested six
persons, a senior official said on Sunday.
The arrested accused, who are holders of liquor licences,
are charged with working in collaboration with liquor
syndicate members, Visakhapatnam DSP N Venkateshwar Rao told
PTI, adding all of them were produced before a court today and
were remanded in judicial custody.
The accused are identified as M Ramu, Srinivas Rao,
Shankargangadhar Rao, K Narayanappadu and Durga Rao.
The ACB has been conducting raids in different districts
since last December after "exposing" the nexus among liquor
mafia, politicians and officials.
The agency had earlier arrested liquor don Nunna Venkata
Ramana, who, allegedly confessed to having paid Rs 10 lakh to
excise minister Mopivedi Venkat Ramana and `mamools` (bribe)
to two MLAs.
The ACB has also arrested several excise and police
officials since March for their alleged links with the liquor
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS