Six-yr-old girl branded with hot iron by parents
Rajahmundry (AP): Parents of a six-year-old girl were taken into custody by police today for allegedly branding their daughter with a hot iron as part of a "black magic" ritual at Pithapuram, in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh.
The six-year-old`s parents allegedly locked her up inside their house for a week and got her mouth, hands and other body parts branded with a hot iron, police said.
The parents said they had carried out the black magic ritual to "relieve" their daughter from her so-called "sins" after she was born on `Amavasya` (new moon night), which is considered inauspicious.
"We contacted a priest to perform the ritual and he was doing so for the past one week," the parents told police.
The case came to light after neighbours who heard the child`s cries, entered the house and rescued her from her parents` clutches. They then handed over the child to Pithapuram police.
Although the parents were taken into custody, the priest involved in the affair is absconding, police said, adding that a search has been launched to nab him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites