Soaring prices encourages Guntur farmers to grow pulses
Guntur(AP): Encouraged by the recent soaring
prices of red gram in the market, farmers in Guntur district
have cultivated the pulse crop in a large area in the current
The area under red gram has risen from last year`s 19,000
hectares to 36,451 hectares recording an increase of 92
percent, the district Agriculture Office said today.
Some 4820 quintals of red gram seeds were supplied to the
growers at subsidised rates by the agriculture department, the
officials said, adding the yield is expected at 12 quintals
Red gram is an important ingredient of Telugu cuisines.
As the demand outstripped supply, the prices have sky rocketed
culminating in public protest. The state government has made
arrangements to provide one kg of red gram to people below
poverty line at subsidised rates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook