Soaring prices encourages Guntur farmers to grow pulses
Guntur(AP): Encouraged by the recent soaring
prices of red gram in the market, farmers in Guntur district
have cultivated the pulse crop in a large area in the current
The area under red gram has risen from last year`s 19,000
hectares to 36,451 hectares recording an increase of 92
percent, the district Agriculture Office said today.
Some 4820 quintals of red gram seeds were supplied to the
growers at subsidised rates by the agriculture department, the
officials said, adding the yield is expected at 12 quintals
Red gram is an important ingredient of Telugu cuisines.
As the demand outstripped supply, the prices have sky rocketed
culminating in public protest. The state government has made
arrangements to provide one kg of red gram to people below
poverty line at subsidised rates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi